Feel and look younger with these facial hair care tips
Whether you’ve decided to grow out a beard during the pandemic or have always kept one, there’s a common denominator: healthy-looking facial hair takes work.
Some suggest that it starts with the skin and that skincare is essential for beard health, but it also goes a little deeper than that. This is particularly noteworthy because many men equate beard grooming with rinsing in the shower.
But remember, you have skin under all that hair. Skin that needs looking after, not to mention your beard itself. Facial hair can lead to dandruff, ingrown hairs, acne and itching, whether you have a long beard, stubble, mustache or goatee.
Here are some tips to help your facial hair look and feel great:
- Wash your face and facial hair daily. Use circular motions to gently massage the cleanser into the beard and make sure it doesn’t contain any pore-clogging agents. Rinse well and pat dry with a clean towel.
- Use an exfoliating product once or twice a week if you have stubble or ingrown hairs. Salicylic acid is an ingredient to look for.
- When your beard is still damp, massage in some moisturizer to get not just the hair, but the skin underneath.
- Shave at the end or directly after showering for softer hair. Pass your razor in the direction of hair growth and rinse it after each pass.
- When you’re done shaving, apply moisturizer, conditioner, or beard oils.
Avoid spending too much time touching or stroking your beard. Too much contact can transfer dirt.
Of course, a healthy diet can also help your skin and facial hair. A diet rich in healthy fats like omega-3s and those found in nuts and vegetable oils is excellent. Antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables may also benefit skin and hair. Limit the consumption of processed foods.
Taking care of your beard may seem a little more difficult, but healthy skin and facial hair can help you look and feel younger!