Best skin and hair care routines for summers
Does your skin and hair suffer from the scorching summer heat? Do not worry ! Here are some proven Ayurvedic summer rituals to keep your skin and hair looking great.
Ayurvedic skin care routine for summer
• According to Ayurveda, Abhyanga (body massage with vegetable oils) is essential to preserve the health of the skin. Before bathing in the summer, gently massage your body with cooling oils such as coconut oil. You can also add a few drops of essential oils to your Abhyanga oil, such as lavender, rosemary or peppermint.
• Take a bath with herbal body wash and lukewarm water one hour after practicing Abhyanga. During the summer, body washes with pleasant herbs like lemon, neem, and mint are a good choice.
• Use ubtan to exfoliate dead skin and sweat buildup from pores once or twice a week. Ubtans that include sandalwood powder, orange peel powder and other cooling ingredients are great for summer.
• Use rose water as a natural toner for your face. It softens your skin and wards off summer acne. You can take rose water with you and sprinkle it on your face throughout the day to keep it hydrated.
• Use a herbal moisturizer suitable for your skin type. Moisturizers made with aloe vera are ideal for all skin types during the summer.
• Apply sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 to all exposed areas of your skin. Whether you stay home or go out, this is a crucial step to take.
Ayurvedic hair care for summer
• Massage your scalp and hair two to three times a week with personalized Ayurvedic oils. Before you go tonight, treat yourself to an oil massage and wash your hair the next morning. Ayurveda recommends applying hair oils with cooling herbs like neem, onion, vetiver and others throughout the summer.
• Regularly cleanse your scalp and hair to remove accumulated sweat and debris (two or three times a week after oil massage therapy). During the summer, hair washes that include herbs like aloe vera, amala, yashtimadhu and others are ideal for calming heightened doshas.
• Use a coconut milk hair mask regularly to nourish your hair. After an hour, apply the coconut milk directly to the roots of your scalp and shampoo your hair. This naturally conditions your hair and helps prevent summer hair issues like breakage and split ends.
• When you go out in the sun, wear a scarf or cap to protect your scalp and hair. When you are outside in the summer, you can also use a leave-in conditioner with SPF.
Summer lifestyle and diet tips for great skin and hair
• In summer, a light diet is preferable. Take liquids like buttermilk, coconut milk, and other fresh juices daily. Stay hydrated by drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day.
• Eating dairy products like organic milk, paneer and yogurt regularly during the summer helps keep your skin and hair hydrated.
• Include a variety of dried fruits, hydrating vegetables like cucumber, bottle gourd, snake squash, cabbage, barley, leafy greens, tomato, bell pepper, and seasonal fruits like watermelon, melon embroidered, plum, berries, mango and others in your daily diet.
• Avoid artificial preservatives, frozen foods and processed junk foods.
• Try to go to bed before 11:00 p.m. and get up before 6:00 a.m. throughout the summer.
• Meditation and Pranayama Sheetali are recommended by Ayurveda to keep your body and mind calm and fresh during the summer. In the summer, use these holistic Ayurvedic methods to protect and repair your skin and hair!
(with contributions from Dr. Sridevi Gaddam)